On the largest freshwater island sits Little Current, a cozy little town. Exploring attractions and things to do in in Northeastern Ontario charmest place ❤️
Tucked away on the shores of the North Channel in Northeastern Ontario, Canada lies the charming town of Little Current. Serving as the gateway to the magnificent Manitoulin Island, Little Current is a picturesque waterfront community steeped in maritime history.
Where is Little Current Ontario?
Little Current is located on the northeastern side of Manitoulin Island, the largest freshwater island in the world. The town sits along the North Channel of Lake Huron, which connects to the larger Georgian Bay. Visitors arriving by boat enter Little Current from the North Channel, while those coming by car use the iconic Little Current swing bridge to access the island. This one-lane bridge provides the only land link between Manitoulin Island and the mainland.
What to See and Do in Little Current
Little Current, as the gateway community to Manitoulin Island, offers a delightful array of attractions and activities to captivate travelers. Here, you’ll find a unique blend of history, natural beauty, local flavors, and small-town charm.
- Marvel at the Little Current Swing Bridge When you visit Little Current, a must-see attraction is the iconic Little Current Swing Bridge. This engineering marvel, built in 1913, elegantly spans the North Channel, and it is a spectacle to behold. The bridge pivots open on the hour, allowing boats to smoothly pass through. Observing this 980-ton bridge in action is a mesmerizing experience as it orchestrates marine traffic in and out of the harbor.
- Stroll the Waterfront Little Current’s picturesque harbor is a hive of activity, with sailboats, yachts, and fishing charters bustling about. Take a leisurely stroll along the waterfront boardwalk, where you can watch these vessels gracefully glide across the channel. Don’t forget to visit the historic lighthouse on Strawberry Island, guarding the mouth of the bay, which adds to the charm of the waterfront area.
- Immerse Yourself in History Delve into the rich history of Little Current at the Centennial Museum. The museum’s exhibits shed light on the region’s Anishinaabe heritage, as well as the pivotal role played by railways and shipping in the town’s development. Just outside of town, adventure seekers can explore the Cup and Saucer Trail, a hiking route leading to spectacular vista points that offer breathtaking views of the landscape.
- Sample the Local Flavors Food enthusiasts will be pleased with the variety of dining options in Little Current. For a taste of local cuisine made from locally-sourced ingredients, head to the North 46 Restaurant and enjoy your meal on their charming patio. If you’re in the mood for classic pub fare, the Anchor Inn is a beloved Little Current landmark. And for a sweet ending to your day, don’t miss the chance to indulge in delicious ice cream at the popular 3 Cows and a Cone shop.
- Experience Small Town Charm Wander down Little Current’s charming main street, where you’ll discover shops and galleries housed in 19th-century buildings. This historic setting provides a unique shopping experience. For a taste of tradition, explore Turners department store, in operation since 1879. Families with children will also find joy at Low Island Park, where a new playground offers a delightful spot for kids to play right along the waterfront.
- Celebrate at Summer Festivals If you’re visiting in August, you’re in for a treat. Little Current celebrates its island heritage during Haweater Weekend, featuring a vibrant parade, an engaging street fair, and a spectacular fireworks display. It’s the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and festivities.
In Little Current, you’ll discover a delightful mix of history, natural beauty, local cuisine, and the warmth of a charming small town. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or simply seeking a relaxing getaway, this gateway to Manitoulin Island has something to offer every traveler.
When to Visit Little Current
Summer is peak season in Little Current. The weather is ideal for hiking, cycling, and spending time on the water during July and August. June and September offer milder temperatures and fewer crowds. Some businesses and attractions reduce hours or close entirely during fall and winter. But travelers who don’t mind bundling up can enjoy off-season discounts and quieter explorations November through April.
Discover The Gateway to Manitoulin Island
Nestled in the heart of Northeastern Ontario, Little Current stands as a cherished gateway to the enchanting Manitoulin Island. This picturesque town, with its scenic vistas, rich historical tapestry, and welcoming small-town atmosphere, beckons to Great Lakes travelers in search of a genuine Canadian experience. As you arrive in Little Current, you’ll find that it not only serves as a charming destination in itself but also as the perfect launchpad for exploring the wonders of Manitoulin Island.
Little Current offers a unique blend of natural beauty and historical significance that captivates travelers from all walks of life. The town’s location at the northern tip of Manitoulin Island presents visitors with a prime starting point for adventure. Whether your preferred mode of travel is by boat, car, or the scenic train journey from Sudbury, Little Current extends a warm and inviting island welcome to all who make their way here.
For those who appreciate the great outdoors, Manitoulin Island is a paradise waiting to be explored. Numerous hiking trails crisscross the island, leading you through lush forests, past sparkling lakes, and to breathtaking lookout points. The tranquil beaches that dot the island’s coastline provide serene escapes for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports. Wildlife enthusiasts will find ample opportunities for birdwatching, while history buffs can trace the island’s past through its well-preserved sites and museums.
As you embark on your journey from Little Current, the Manitoulin landscape unfolds before you, revealing its secrets and treasures. The diverse experiences awaiting you on the island are as varied as the travelers who seek them. Whether you’re drawn to the tranquility of nature, the allure of local culture, or the thrill of outdoor adventure, Manitoulin Island offers a multitude of possibilities. Your exploration begins in Little Current, a welcoming and idyllic gateway that sets the stage for the enchanting island adventures that lie ahead.